Tuesday, May 18, 2010

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH DJ JEWBOY. YEEAAA.

1. How did you start mashing? How did you feel after making your first ever mashup?

So first off, I’m Andrew, I’m 18 and from Chicago, IL.  I’ll be attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the fall.

So I hadn’t heard of Girl Talk until my 2007 summer.  My friend Max and I were cabin mates at the camp I attend in Northern Wisconsin, and he plugged it in and my mind was blown.  I didn’t know exactly what it was and my brain couldn’t quite categorize it.  It was the sampling of music that I’m used to, but in a continuous, seamless, practically flawless format, unlike anything I’ve ever heard in my entire life. 

After my first mashup, I thought that mashup making wasn’t right for me.  Let’s be honest: you wouldn’t felt that way too if your program was Audacity and you mixed “Roll To Me” by Del Amitri with Daft Punk’s “Technologic.”  Apologies to anyone who’s ever made that mashup.  But not really.  Bad idea.  It’s annoying and whiney.

2. Who are your influences/do you model your music after any specific artist/artists?

I like to think I’ve developed my own particular style, but if someone came up to me and told me “Wow, your music sounds so much like Girl Talk,” or “You sound so similar to Super Mash Bros,” I would take that as the best compliment anyone could give me.  Now, at the same time, I feel I differ from those two because of the song choices I use.  Super Mash Bros use a lot of dance-beat, shake-yo-ass jams while Girl Talk’s stuff tends to be more melodic and smooth.  I think I take songs from all over the spectrum, whether it’s Top 40, classic rock, or TV/video game theme songs.  On my album “Boy vs. Goy” with DJ BAHLER, I sample the Seinfeld Theme Song and on my newest mashup, “The Rise of Dank-enstein,” I sample a Wale track with the Tetris theme song.  I don’t know many mashup artists that are utilizing some of the most recognizable music out there.

3. When you make a mashup, what is the number one thing you keep in mind in terms of song selection?

My first step is to see if the given song is catchy.  It doesn’t matter to me if the song was a hit, will be a hit, or has never been a hit.  If it’s catchy, it will mix well.  Well, provided it doesn’t have its own drum beat in the background.  If the song is catchy and isn’t supported by a thick drum line, I can mix it with almost anything.  It doesn’t matter to me if the song is by the Rolling Stones or by Politically Correct Grilled Cheese, (the band could be virtually unknown, but if they’re song sticks with me, then it qualifies for a DJ JewBoy mashup).

4. How integral do you feel Judaism is to your image as an artist? 

I love being Jewish and am proud to be Jewish.  However, even though my mashup name is “DJ JewBoy,” I don’t want my Judaism to define the stuff that I make.  I’d like it to be a factor, but I don’t want it to overwhelm potential fans, if you get what I’m saying.  Yes, I could take the annoying Tim Tebow approach and force religion down your throat, but I’m not like that, and I’m certainly not that religious.  I like to use the Judaism as a subtle factor that people can chuckle at.  In Chrome Kippur, I sample a song by Israeli hip-hop group “Subliminal.”  Amidst an album filled with Three 6 Mafia and Kanye West, someone rapping in Hebrew is certainly a blind-sided hit.  My album names tend to be Jewish/Gangsta puns.  There’s been “Ka-Ballin!,” “Keepin It Is-Real, Vol. 1,” and now “Chrome Kippur.”

5. If you had to make mashup theme song to your life, what two (or more) songs would you use?

“Young Forever” by Jay-Z (feat. Mr. Hudson) for sure.  And I’d probably add to that “My Generation” by Damian Marley & Nas (feat. Lil’ Wayne).  Now, I’m all across the board now, we’ll throw in “Something Good Can Work” by Two Door Cinema Club and “Babeli Oto” by Eyal Golan.  The Jay-Z track because I’m going off to school next year, the Damian Marley and Nas song because the songs lyrics speak total truth (especially Lil’ Wayne’s verse)(look it up), Two Door Cinema Club because I just really like that song, and Eyal Golan because that’s such a staple song at my camp.  He’s an Israeli artist and Judaism and music is such a part of my life.

6. Where do you hope to take this project in the future/what are your future plans/goals/aspirations? Where would you like to see the mashup industry 10 years from now?

I hope to continue mashing as a hobby.  I don’t expect to turn it into a career by any means, but you never know.  It scares me that so many artists are being threatened to shut down what they’re doing even though they’re not profiting from any of it.  I don’t mean any harm from my mashups.  It’s basically the result of my undiagnosed Music ADD.  I love music and everyone who makes it and my mashups are an expression of that love.  I’m not trying to get the large corporations.  I don’t make any money off of my mashups and I don’t plan on it.  Ideally, I would like to be able to mash without fear of being sued.  I’m going to college next year and would really like to keep that money in the account.

I think the mashup industry has an advantage because good mashup artists are constantly mixing new music.  I assume that over the next ten years, there will still be new music being released.  The genres will change, and mashups will change with them.  These mixes will always be appealing  because you’re to bridge the gap between many different genres and please many people.  I hope the mashup industry is still strong in ten years, provided the large record labels haven’t shut it down  by then.

7. What should we expect from chrome kippur?

Chrome Kippur is the best stuff I have ever made.  It will knock your socks off.  I’ve sampled around 175 different songs and I feel I had so much time to truly experiment with this album.  There are tons of mixes on it that I never would have dreamed I’d be using a year ago.  It’s a statement album.  It says “DJ JewBoy is legit.  Don’t believe me?  Listen to this.”  It’s 41 minutes of eargasm after eargasm.  Chrome Kippur is a fun listening experience.  Have you ever listened to an album that you just get lost in?  This is that, except with mashups.  I’m hoping this is the one that finally puts me over the top.

8. Would you rather meet Justin Bieber or the 1999 version of Aaron Carter?

This is no contest:  1999 Aaron Carter.  Are you serious?  Through Aaron I’d get to meet Nick Carter, and through him, the rest of the Backstreet Boys.  While I never was a fan, they certainly were a critical musical icon during the 1990’s.  And “Aaron's Party (Come Get It)” is truly a fun song to listen to.  I liked it when I was nine, (and still secretly like it now).

9. What is one piece of advice that you would give to aspiring mashers?

I think that the most important thing is to experiment.  Your mashups won’t sound good at first.  You gotta take little steps.  I started off on Audacity making shitty mixes, then made good ones, moved to Sony Acid, made shitty ones, then made sick ones, and now I’m learning Ableton and struggling haha.  With time, and good ideas of course, any aspiring mashup artist can find success.  Just be patient.

10. anything else you want to add

This blog is the definition of awesome sauce.  And you can quote me on that.

Everyone is invited to the online release of Chrome Kippur on June 4th!  It’s a facebook event and isn’t technically a real party, but up until that Friday, I will announce any information about the new album there.  Here’s the link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=107053819338985.

And I’m super stoked to be next some of my mashup idols in Super Mash Bros.

No comments:

Post a Comment