Tuesday, May 18, 2010

This Kid Is the Real Deal. Challah Back.

You know that feeling when you discover a really, really, good song for the first time?

All of a sudden, your heart inexplicably feels 5000 pounds lighter. Your head starts spinning circles of utter ecstasy. Your ears dilate a gazillion times to fully absorb the pleasures of a three minute long eargasm. For some unfathomable reason, you can't stop smiling. Within a matter of days, the song skyrockets to your iTunes top 25. And considering the fact that your library is larger than the Backsteet Boy's life, thats a pretty monumental accomplishment.

You know that feeling, right? Good. Now, imagine that same irresistible sensation over an entire album. Better, yet an entire discography.

Enter DJ Jewboy. In just three years, the Chicago native has already taken the mashup world by storm. And don't tell Hurricane Chris, but this storm might topple him over. And if not him, most definitely that baby in the beginning. A bay bay.

So, who exactly is this legend in the making? Lets meet him.


"So first off, I’m Andrew, I’m 18 and from Chicago, IL.  I’ll be attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison in the fall."

Upon first hearing that the man who had the audacity to mix together Taylor Swift and Kanye in the SAME SONG, I was shocked that he was still in high school. If mashing was a sport, theres no question he'd be as dominant as LeBron in that St. Vincents St. Marys Jersey. His talent is just downright unfair. 

We all know Girltalk. He is awesome. We all know Super Mash Bros. They are even more awesome. Soon, we will all also know Jewboy. 

However, just like the Mash Bros, Andrew doesn't necessarily want to be subjectively compared to the titans of mashing, as he feels he has developed an innovative style unique to anything else in the industry. 

"if someone came up to me and told me “Wow, your music sounds so much like Girl Talk,” or “You sound so similar to Super Mash Bros,” I would take that as the best compliment anyone could give me.  Now, at the same time, I feel I differ from those two because of the song choices I use.  Super Mash Bros use a lot of dance-beat, shake-yo-ass jams while Girl Talk’s stuff tends to be more melodic and smooth.  I think I take songs from all over the spectrum, whether it’s Top 40, classic rock, or TV/video game theme songs.  On my album “Boy vs. Goy” with DJ BAHLER, I sample the Seinfeld Theme Song and on my newest mashup, “The Rise of Dank-enstein,” I sample a Wale track with the Tetris theme song.  I don’t know many mashup artists that are utilizing some of the most recognizable music out there."

This mashing phenom seemingly gets better and better and better with every release. His latest song featured on his website (http://www.wix.com/DJJewboy/Dj-Jewboy)" samples everything from Biz Markies cult classic "Just a Friend" to everyones favorite emo jam, Dashboard Confessional's "Hands Down." Throw in some Jesse McCartney, and yes, we all have a Beautiful Soul. 

"I think that the most important thing is to experiment.  Your mashups won’t sound good at first.  You gotta take little steps.  I started off on Audacity making shitty mixes, then made good ones, moved to Sony Acid, made shitty ones, then made sick ones, and now I’m learning Ableton and struggling haha."  

I'm not sure if "struggling" is the right term here. More like, "damn, it feels good to be a gangsta."

On June 4th, DJ Jewboy will be releasing his next album, cleverly titled "Chrome Kippur." Needless to say, i'm pumped. 

“Chrome Kippur is the best stuff I have ever made.  It will knock your socks off”

I'll probably be wearing sandals being that its summer, but I might have to rock the socks and sandals for the occasion. If theres anything that could pull off this immaculate maneuver, its this man's music. 

“It’s a statement album.  It says “DJ JewBoy is legit.  Don’t believe me?  Listen to this.”  It’s 41 minutes of eargasm after eargasm.  Chrome Kippur is a fun listening experience.  Have you ever listened to an album that you just get lost in?  This is that, except with mashups.  I’m hoping this is the one that finally puts me over the top.”


Boom goes the dynamite. 

With albums such as "Keepin it Is-Real" and "Gin and Jews," Jewboy hasn't been afraid to express his cultural identity. Although Judaism is an integral part of Jewboy's image (hence the name), it is by no means overpowering.

"I love being Jewish and am proud to be Jewish.  However, even though my mashup name is “DJ JewBoy,”I don’t want my Judaism to define the stuff that I make.  I’d like it to be a factor, but I don’t want it to overwhelm potential fans, if you get what I’m saying.  Yes, I could take the annoying Tim Tebow approach and force religion down your throat, but I’m not like that, and I’m certainly not that religious.  I like to use the Judaism as a subtle factor that people can chuckle at."

What I like best about Andrew is that he is driven by pure, undiluted passion. He is not chasing the big bucks,   crowds of screaming fans, or even interviews with famed personalities such as myself (joke). Andrew is simply chasing his dream. His passion. His own little Horah.

"I love music and everyone who makes it and my mashups are an expression of that love.  I’m not trying to get the large corporations.  I don’t make any money off of my mashups and I don’t plan on it.  Ideally, I would like to be able to mash without fear of being sued.  I’m going to college next year and would really like to keep that money in the account."

Above all, Andrew clearly has his musical priorities in order. When asked whether he would rather meet present day Justin Bieber or the 1999 version of Aaron Carter, his answer was pure gold. I mean, gelt. 

"This is no contest:  1999 Aaron Carter.  Are you serious?  Through Aaron I’d get to meet Nick Carter, and through him, the rest of the Backstreet Boys.  While I never was a fan, they certainly were a critical musical icon during the 1990’s.  And “Aaron's Party (Come Get It)” is truly a fun song to listen to.  I liked it when I was nine, (and still secretly like it now)."


Not checking out Chrome Kippur would probably be as smart as using fire-proof matches. Plus, theres even a party. Hava Nagila. 

"Everyone is invited to the online release of Chrome Kippur on June 4th!  It’s a facebook event and isn’t technically a real party, but up until that Friday, I will announce any information about the new album there.  Here’s the link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/event.php?eid=107053819338985."

Said Andrew, "This blog is the definition of awesome sauce.  And you can quote me on that."

Damn Straight I will. Though you are the real awesome sauce. 

I think I found the Afikomen. Challah back. 





__________________________________




For the exclusive interview, see previous post







Song of the day:  Smegmalator's Unite: DJ Jewboy





















4 comments:

  1. unfreakin believable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm impressed with your Jew terminology haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jewboyyy is the man

    nice article

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave- it helps being jewish, haha

    ReplyDelete